We're continuing to update the web site for our 2013 festival.
Please be patient as we continue this effort.
Go to our Facebook page to see some 2012 festival photos.
Recent updates: Last website update: May 21, 2013
- Update home page (and flyers), instructor page, add notes various places indicating some items are still 2012 examples
- Post the 2013 registration form
- Add the initial photo of the 2013 festival quilt project (in progress)
- Fill in the Venue page
Scenes from our first festival (2010)
While there are lots of dulcimer festivals in the mid/eastern part of the country, there's only a handful of festivals in the entire western United States. What is a dulcimer anyways? And why a dulcimer festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico? In 2010 when we held our inaugural festival, we wondered if anyone would come. Response the last three years has exceeded all expectations! Not only have participants come from all over NM, but also AZ, CA, CO, FL, IL, IN, KS, NE, OK, TX and WI.
Thanks to all who made past festivals a success. With your help, the 2013 festival will be even better!
2013 Guest Instructors
|Lois Hornbostel||(Bryson City, NC)||- Mountain Dulcimer|
|Brenda Hunter||(Bakersfield, CA)||- Hammered Dulcimer|
|Dan Landrum||(Signal Mountain, TN)||- Hammered Dulcimer|
|Aaron O'Rourke||(Tallahassee, FL)||- Mountain Dulcimer|
|Ehukai Teves||(Bryson City, NC)||- Mountain Dulcimer, Ukulele|
(Some may teach other things too)
|Tina Gugeler||(Erie, CO)||- Hammered Dulcimer|
|Irma Reeder||(Albuquerque, NM)||- Mountain Dulcimer, Celtic Harp|
(Others to be announced)
What is the New Mexico Dulcimer Festival?
- Dulcimer Instruction
- Two days of hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer workshops for all skill levels
- "Never-played-before" workshops for those who want to start
- A limited number of dulcimer rentals are available to registered participants for the event
- Additional opportunities for a master class or private lesson with some of our guest instructors (for festival participants only)
- Over 30 Workshops
- In addition to dulcimer classes, workshops on other folk instruments (may be Celtic harp, bowed psaltery, bodhrán, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, ukulele, other - see workshops)
- A limited number of our workshops are offered a la carte where guests of registered participants or walk-ins can pay for specific sessions
- A la carte workshops are included for registered participants
- Loaner instruments are available at no cost for many of these workshops
- Friday and Saturday evening concerts by instructors (open to the public)
- Jamming skills workshops for both dulcimer types
- A regular jam during the day on Saturday*
- Friday and Saturday night jams at the festival site after the concerts*
*Jams are intended for festival participants and their guests. All acoustic folk instruments are welcome.
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
Hot air balloons over Albuquerque
We scheduled this year's dulcimer festival the weekend following the October 5-13, 2013, Balloon Fiesta so we might catch more of you RVers traveling through the southwest. We hope you'll stay in Albuquerque after the balloon spectacle to make some music with us. See lodging for camping options.
Click here for other Albuquerque attractions
Click here for an entertaining history of Albuquerque
Apple Mountain Music store in Albuquerque
New Mexico Dulcimer Association
P.O. Box 11722
Albuquerque, NM 87192
Apple Mountain Music
10301 Comanche NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111