Recent updates: Last website update: October 20, 2013
- Note that the fest is over, updates to Quilt Raffle and Archive pages
Our 2013 festival turned out super! We'll be posting photos on our facebook page soon. The 2014 festival is scheduled for Oct 17-18.
We're still working on full headliner plans, but we expect to bring out Bing Futch from Florida (mountain dulcimer) and Karon Ashbrook from Maryland (hammered dulcimer) in 2014.
When we get all our 2014 instructors on contract, we'll start updating the website.
For now, information still reflects the 2013 festival.
Mountain and Hammered Dulcimers
While there are lots of dulcimer festivals in the mid/eastern part of the country, there's only a handful of festivals in the entire western United States. What is a dulcimer anyways? And why a dulcimer festival in Albuquerque, New Mexico? In 2010 when we held our inaugural festival, we wondered if anyone would come. Response the last three years has exceeded all expectations! Not only have participants come from all over NM, but also AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IL, IN, KS, NE, NH, OK, TX and WI.
Thanks to all who made past festivals a success. With your help, the 2013 festival will be even better!
2013 Guest Instructors
|Lois Hornbostel||(Bryson City, NC)||- Mountain Dulcimer|
|Brenda Hunter||(Bakersfield, CA)||- Hammered Dulcimer, singing|
|Dan Landrum||(Signal Mountain, TN)||- Hammered Dulcimer|
|Aaron O'Rourke||(Tallahassee, FL)||- Mountain Dulcimer|
|Ehukai Teves||(Bryson City, NC)||- Mountain Dulcimer, Ukulele|
|Kat Edmonson||(Bakersfield, CA)||- Irish Guitar|
|Jill Egland||(Bakersfield, CA)||- Bodhran, Tin Whistle, Jewish folk melodies|
|Katie Geringer||(Tallahassee, FL)||- Mountain Dulcimer, Irish Fiddle|
|Tina Gugeler||(Erie, CO)||- Hammered Dulcimer|
|Donese Mayfield||(Albuquerque, NM)||- Celtic Harp|
|Irma Reeder||(Albuquerque, NM)||- Mountain Dulcimer|
|Scott Reeder||(Albuquerque, NM)||- Bowed Psaltery|
|Michael VeSeart||(Albuquerque, NM)||- Ukulele|
What is the New Mexico Dulcimer Festival?
- Dulcimer Instruction
- Two days of hammered dulcimer and mountain dulcimer workshops for all skill levels
- "Never-played-before" workshops for those who want to start
- A limited number of dulcimer rentals are available to registered participants for the event
- Additional opportunities for a master class with some of our guest instructors (for festival participants only)
- Over 30 Workshops
- In addition to dulcimer classes, workshops on other folk instruments (may be Celtic harp, bowed psaltery, bodhrán, tin whistle, guitar, mandolin, fiddle, ukulele, other - see workshops)
- A limited number of our workshops are offered a la carte where guests of registered participants or walk-ins can pay for specific sessions
- A la carte workshops are included for registered participants
- Loaner instruments are available at no cost for many of these workshops
- Friday and Saturday evening concerts by instructors (open to the public)
- Thursday night jamming until midnight at the festival host hotel - headliners will be arriving after they've had dinner*
- Jamming skills workshops for both dulcimer types
- Slow jam and regular jam during the day on Saturday*
- Friday and Saturday night jams at the festival site after the concerts - then more jamming back at the host hotel until midnight*
*Jams are intended for festival participants and their guests only. All acoustic folk instruments are welcome.
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta
Hot air balloons over Albuquerque
We scheduled this year's dulcimer festival the weekend following the October 5-13, 2013, Balloon Fiesta so we might catch more of you RVers traveling through the southwest. We hope you'll stay in Albuquerque after the balloon spectacle to make some music with us.
With more than 700 beautiful hot air balloons participating, the Fiesta is the largest ballooning event on earth. Attracting more than 800,000 national and international visitors and more than 800 media representatives from across the globe, it is also the largest annual event in North America. It has been recognized as the world's most photographed event, and has been characterized as the most spectacular and colorful festival on the planet.
Click here for other Albuquerque attractions.
Click here for our own entertaining history of Albuquerque.